Tuesday 22 April 2014

Pretty fly for a white guy

I spent last week in Lanzarote.  It was very hot.  Despite this I managed to get out on two mornings (it should've been three but I still reckon I did well).  The main trouble was that you have to get out before 8am otherwise the sun just makes it too unpleasant to run.  I'm not sure the locals are ready for the sight of a 130kg paleface trailing beads of sweat behind him as he pounds the pavement.  I have made a top purchase - a pair of round-the-back-of-the-neck bluetooth headphones.  This eliminates the trailing wire and hence improves my aerodynamic profile - I'm with David Brailsford on this one; it's all about percentages.  I got out again on Easter Sunday despite not getting home until 3am the night before - two main observations: firstly it's much colder in Lincolnshire than in Lanzarote; secondly the running is definitely easier.  I'm almost up to a full half hour without a break now although still limited to around 6.5kph.  My legs don't seem to go any faster - I'm not getting remotely out of breath anymore but stepping up the pace is proving difficult.  I was out this afternoon and did just over 2 miles and I think I'm starting to lengthen the paces a little so maybe there is progress.  I certainly couldn't have run 2 miles straight 2 months ago.  I'm beginning to think that running the entire distance in September is not that unrealistic after all.

When returned home I was greeted with my Woodhall Spa 10K number and chip.  This is all getting a bit real now!  Just 41 days until I run 10K and my current distance is sitting at just under 4K.  Need to keep up the training - no time for gaps now.

Apologies if the blog is a bit random and disparate this week - nothing exciting has happened or occurred to me since the last entry but I feel the need to keep things up.  My good friend Angela has just completed the London Marathon in just over 6 hours so very well done her (she only really started running about this time last year and has come through several injuries).  I don't think I'll ever do (or want to do) the full marathon but the thought of running half marathons in different countries is actually quite appealing (not least because it's a good excuse to go to those countries).

According to Prince on a track that came on the iPod today, it's flyer to be hungry than fat.

If only someone had told me before.

I could've been so fly.

So, with 139 days to go:

Longest sustained run: 27 minutes
Musical highlight: Bloc Party
Weight: Slightly up (damn you Spanish cuisine)
Confidence: Increasing
Urge to kill:Minimal

No comments:

Post a Comment